In Florida, the cost of titling and registering your vehicle can vary depending on several factors, including the type of vehicle, its weight and the length of registration.
You can register a vehicle at various locations, primarily through the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) and its network of authorized service providers.
Registering a Vehicle in Florida
When registering a Florida vehicle or renewing your registration, it may be helpful to understand the following:
- There is a standard tag and title fee for a vehicle that weighs less than 2,500 pounds.
- If your vehicle weighs more than 2,500 pounds, the fees increase.
- Florida offers a wide range of specialty license plates for various organizations and causes. The fees for these plates can differ from standard plates.
- There may be additional service fees such as transferring a license plate or obtaining a duplicate title.
Titling a Car in Florida
Titling a car in Florida involves several steps, and following the process correctly is essential. You must provide proof of ownership, such as a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) or a properly assigned title, and your valid Florida driver’s license. You’ll also need proof that your auto insurance coverage meets the state’s minimum requirements for liability coverage.
If you are buying a vehicle and want to register it in Florida, you must do the following:
- Submit all documents. Bring all necessary documents, including the completed application, proof of insurance, proof of ownership and any other required forms.
- Pay fees. Pay the applicable tag and title fees, typically with cash, check or credit card.
- Receive your title. Once you’ve completed the process and paid the fees, you’ll receive your Florida title. Keep this document safe, as it proves your ownership of the vehicle.
- Obtain your license plate. You’ll also receive your license plate, which must be displayed on your vehicle as Florida law requires.
Florida tag and title fees vary based on numerous factors, including the vehicle’s age, value and weight. Smaller vehicles may have lower fees. The cost of registering a Florida vehicle may change at any time. Your agent can help you understand potential registration fees.
Contact Automatic Insurance Agency, serving communities across South Florida, for expert assistance with your Florida tag and title needs. We’re here to support you every step of the way, from understanding the fees to completing the paperwork accurately.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.